For reference, I used kit contents from Ali Edward’s 2015 Week in the Life kit. I typically do not use kits, and I found at first I was struggling a bit with the idea of getting my story to fit into a certain format. I let that go and went back to photos + stories. Once I printed photos, typed out stories and started playing around with it, I found a more comfortable rhythm to using the kit contents as needed, along with some other favorite embellishments. It worked much easier when I stepped back from conformity.
Conformity: I have always sort of been a walk to the beat of my own drum type, but wow, have I ever realized that trying to assemble this mini album. Not even just using someone else’s kit, but I have trouble staying within the confines of my own rules! Some of my variation was strategic, in that sometimes it just made more sense to not follow my own theme. Some of it, admittedly, is I had a better idea as I went along. Which does happen with me often in designing a page, so that makes sense. Then I had to face questions like Do I go back and change what I’ve done? Which I am not really a fan of, so the answer was generally no. I feel like it’s a little art imitating life here, because I’m very fluid about documenting Week in the Life, and I tend to adjust & evolve each time (year) I try it, and even during the week as it goes on. The same thing happened here with assembling the album. I talk a lot about ebbs & flows in my journaling for the week, which seems to be a reoccurring theme for me lately.
Bottom line: I always do what works for me & what feels good right now. And I suggest the same for you. Don’t worry about what it’s supposed to look like by industry standards, or even what you thought it may be in your head!
So the details…
For each day I selected 1 full, 6×8 page photo. I started with the idea for a selfie, as well as black & white. I am in 6 out of 7 days, and 5 out of 7 are b&w. Works for me.
I used a png file from an Ali Edward’s Day of the week digital package purchased from Designer Digitals a few years ago. I’m not sure if it’s still available or not, but check her site where she is selling some of her older designs, under Digital > Classic AE. There’s some great similar designs there too.
In Photoshop Elements I edited the png seven different ways, so that each day would be highlighted in white. I then placed the corresponding day png on the photo and rotated it, placing it in the upper corner.
The white acetate numbers were included in the WITL 2015 kit, I added them in as “day 1, 2, etc”. I stamped the date with a roller stamp onto a journal card then cut the strips out, adding a banner flag to one side. I used the tiny attacher to staple it onto the photo.
For the 2nd page of each day I included the majority of my journaling, taken from the content of my blog posts, onto one 6×8 page. For Monday I used Canon Photo Matte Paper, just because it was nearby while printing photos, but when I was trying to get it into the page protector it was too flimsy. So I switched to cardstock for the rest of the pages. I use Recollections 110 lb cardstock from Michaels. I used Courier New font for all of my journaling in this album.
For some of the journaling pages I included mini photos for the more incidental things. It was a way to include a few more photos without having to add page protectors.
I wanted to add a tab to the top of the pages with the day of the week, so I used the wood veneer days of the week from the kit contents. I used these Avery tabs, which were adhered to the back of the journal page.
I use Tombow Mono Multi-Liquid glue to adhere the wood veneer to the tab. Then on the front part of the tab I added a phrase from the gold font labels that came with the kit. For some of the thinner pieces I used the glue, for thicker ones I just used a tape runner.
When I came to Wednesday, the word was too long & needed 2 tabs. It’s at that point that I got the idea to cover the tab with the gold star washi tape from the kit. I liked the look and continued it through the rest of the album. If I had multiple wood veneer days, I may have tried redoing Monday & Tuesday, but I called it good & kept moving forward.
Also my Wednesday wood veneer came like that, missing a bit of the y, but doesn’t bother me.
As I put together each page, I changed up alignment of the phrases on the tabs. Also, it occurred to me as I went through that I shouldn’t keep them all to the same side of the page in the album. In hindsight, I should’ve gradually inched them across so it laid nicely like filing tabs, but I didn’t think that far ahead! So I have a few to the left, a couple centered & to the right. I also switched up the upper corner element depending on the contents of the photo so it would be more visible. Again, keeping things similar, but not uniform.
I think there is a part of me that almost likes the disheveled look a bit! Sort of representative of the imperfection of life that I love to embrace. Always moving forward.
Looking forward to sharing the rest soon!